|Structure||3 levels, 3 stories|
|Admin's Rating||★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Location||Shiroishi, Miyagi Prefecture|
|Access||Shiroishi Station (Tohoku Honsen), 10 minute walk|
The area of Shiroishi was under the control of Date Masamune until 1591. In that year it was seized by Toyotomi Hideyoshi and bestowed upon Gamo Ujisato along with Tsuruga-jo (Wakamatsu). Gamo then constructed this castle at Shiroishi under control from Wakamatsu.
Soon after the battle of Sekigahara (1600) Date Masamunue re-invaded this area and stationed his relative Katakura Kojuro at Shiroishi-jo. After the establishment of the Tokugawa Shogunate, they created a law which allowed for only one castle in each province. The area of Shiroishi was techinically in the province controlled from Sendai which already had a castle. The Katakura family, however, received special permission to retain their castle at Shiroishi and the descendents of Katakura Kojuro controlled Shiroishi-jo until the Meiji Restoration. It was eventually torn down during the second year of Meiji (1867).