|Structure||5 levels, 6 floors|
|Admin's Rating||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Historical Value||Top 100 Castles|
|Location||Imabari, Ehime Prefecture|
|Access||Imabari Station, 10 minutes by bus|
|Website||Imabari City Website|
|Visited||October 19, 2001|
For his services during the Battle of Sekigahara Takatora Todo was awarded this large parcel of land on the Iyo peninsula. Takatora began construction of the castle in 1602 and moved here from his castle at Uwajima in 1608 when the palace was completed. That same year he was restationed at Tsu in Ise Prefecture. His adopted son, Takayoshi, took oover Imabari.
In 1635, Takatora's adopted son Takayoshi was reassigned and Sadafusa Matsudaira moved in. Imabari Castle was then controlled by the Matsudaira until the Meiji Restoration. The location of Imabari Castle is very important as a strategic militarily point from which to control traffic through the Seto Sea.
The main keep of Imabari Castle was disassembled in 1610 and carried to Osaka. It was originally supposed to become the main keep of Igaueno Castle but was instead rebuilt as the main keep of Kameyama Castle.
The scaffolding you see on some of the pictures is to there to repair damage suffered in an earthquake.