|Alternate Name||Miyoshisan Castle|
|Admin's Rating||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Location||Takatsuki City, Osaka|
|Access||Takatsuki Sta. (JR Tokaido Line), bus, 20 min walk|
|Website||Takatsuki City - Akutagawasan Castle|
|Visited||December 23, 2016|
|Visitor Info.||The site is mostly untouched and the hiking trails are lightly maintained by volunteers. Private property, be considerate. | Time Required: 75 mins|
In 1515, Hosokawa Takakuni commanded one of his senior retainers, Nose Yorinori, to construct a castle on top of a 182m mountain near the strategic junction of three provinces: Settsu (present day southern part of Hyogo Prefecture and western part of Osaka Prefecture), Kawachi (present day eastern part of Osaka Prefecture), and Yamashiro (present day southern part of Kyoto Prefecture). Akutagawasan Castle also sits astride the Takatsuki-Kameoka Road.
In July 1553, Miyoshi Nagayoshi besieged the castle for a month, cutting off the food supply and starving the defenders into submission. Afterwards, he moved into Akutagawasan Castle from Koshimizu Castle in Nishinomiya. In 1560, Miyoshi Nagayoshi relocated to Iimoriyama Castle in Kawachi Province, leaving his son Miyoshi Yoshioki in charge of Akutagawasan Castle. However, Yoshioki died in 1563 from suspected poisoning and the castle passed into the hands of the Wada Clan. In 1573, the final lord of the castle, Takayama Ukon decommissioned Akutagawasan Castle and made Takatsuki Castle his main castle.
Akutagawasan Castle is a good example of an early to mid-Sengoku period yamajiro utilizing the terrain to heighten its defensive capabilities. It is surrounded on three sides by the U-curve of Akuta River with steep slopes running up from the river to the castle. The natural defensive advantages are augmented by dry moats, earthen embankments, outlying small baileys acting as listening posts, and some stone walls added during the Miyoshi reign. Akutagawasan Castle is a fortress complex divided into three main sections, the western cluster of baileys where the main bailey is located, the central cluster of baileys and the eastern cluster of baileys.